BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, March 24, 2012

It's Official!!

I know I've said this before, but this time I got it in writing from my oncologist!  So mark your calendars because Tuesday, March 27th is my VERY LAST CHEMO TREATMENT....EVER!!!  (Well, I guess I shouldn't say, "ever" because I don't want to jinx it.  On second thought, ever since the Colts released Manning-and practically the rest of my beloved team-I don't believe in jinxes...only poor decisions and bad luck!  So YES, next Tuesday WILL be my LAST chemo treatment EVER!!)

Holy sh*t!!!  Did you just hear me!?!? MY LAST CHEMO TREATMENT!!  Sorry for being so crass, but I have worked my a$$ off over the last nine months to get here....well, actually it was more like my hair and boobs, but you know what I mean.

When I started this journey in June, it was impossible for me to imagine what it would feel like to make it through chemotherapy.  It seemed as though every time I turned around I was facing a new obstacle, and the finish line kept getting further and further away.  Although I never lost sight of my goal, there were definitely days where I wondered when and if the destruction of chemotherapy would ever come to an end.

Well now it finally has!!  And the excitement and joy I'm feeling right now is indescribable.  Finishing chemotherapy is by far the greatest accomplishment of my life!  It's better than any test I've ever Aced...any case I've ever won...any dream I've ever made a reality. 

But, I have to be honest.  There is also a small sense of fear and apprehension.  You see, while I was on chemo, there was no way the cancer could come back...or at least that's what I'd convinced myself to believe.  And now, without chemo, it's like I'm putting my guard down...like I'm taking away the safety net.  And when I asked my oncologist about our plan for making sure I remain cancer-free, her response was anything but comforting.  Sure, we'll do yearly MRIs of my breasts and blood tests, but neither of these things can ensure that the cancer has not spread to other areas of my body.  Bottom line-there is no guarantee that the cancer won't come back.

But, if there is anything I have learned throughout this journey, it's that we have to live in the moment.  We cannot live in fear.  We cannot be consumed by the "what ifs".  We cannot take a single day for granted.

I know that when this is all over, I will have done everything in my power to beat this.  Absolutely no regrets.  And I take comfort in the fact that the rest is in His power! 



3 comments:

hilary said...

Congratulations on this amazing milestone. You are an incredible woman! Your forthrightness on this journey has been a real blessing to anyone who knows you! All the best to you and Dan as you live your life! Love, Hilary

Diana Tremback said...

You are such an inspiration! Thinking of you!

Nancy McGinnis said...

You have all the strength you need to live the long, healthy life I know you are destined to have, Sheyanne......and that's because you understand that today is all any of us really has! No regrets is right! And God will take care of the rest! Love, McGinnis