Never say never! I've always said that I would never get a tattoo. Never. But IF I did, it would be a small, four-leaf clover in honor of my Irish heritage.
Wrong and wrong!
This Friday I am getting my very first tattoo....well, first through fourth. And no, I'm not talking about "four" as in a four-leaf clover. I'm talking about four, small blue dots. On my right breast and under my arm. Why?, you ask. Because apparently the scars alone aren't festive enough....we need to add a little color up in here!
Ok, in all seriousness, I really am getting tattoos on Friday. Who knew breast cancer treatment would include tattoos? Apparently they are necessary to mark the precise locations where I am going to be radiated. And as the radiologist was explaining this to me, he actually asked me if it was OK. My first thought was, are you asking me as if I have a choice? My second thought was, dude, do you not see the eight+ gnarly scars I already have?? I'm pretty sure a few tattoos aren't going to make or break my appearance.
Oh, and don't think for a second that I am at all nervous about getting my tattoos, or radiation for that matter. In fact, any concerns I had were put to ease when I talked to two super-optimistic survivors this past weekend at a charity event for the American Cancer Society. Yep, twenty minutes of non-stop "radiation is the absolute WORST part about treatment." Ladies! Ladies! I expect this kind of Debbie-Downer crap from non-cancer patients-NOT survivors! I mean, what do you expect me to do with that kind of information? I'm sorry radiologist, but I'm going to have to pass on the radiation...apparently it does not come very highly recommended from cancer patients. I mean, really?!?
But honestly, I'm totally ready for radiation. Because it means I'm one step closer to putting this all behind me. And besides, I've already been through 9 grueling months of chemotherapy and 3 painful surgeries, so what's a little sunburn in the grand scheme of things, right?!?! (Please do NOT let me have to eat my words!)
Tuesday, May 1, 2012
I'm Getting Inked!
Posted by Sheyanne at 4:48 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment