I never used to read the side effects for any of the medication I took. I mean, you're sick, the medicine will make you better, end of story! But since I've had enough of all the little surprises lately (and since I have a little free time on my hands), I decided to start reading them. I simply needed to know that if my toes turn green, it's a possible side effect of the medication, and not an indication that the cancer has spread.
The following is taken from just one of the medications I am currently taking:
"COMMON USES: This medicine is an antiemetic used in combination with other medicines to prevent nausea and vomiting associated with certain types of cancer drug treatment (chemotherapy)."
"SIDE EFFECTS that may occur while using this medicine include constipation, diarrhea (um, let's just stop right there...constipation and diarrhea?!?!....how is that even possible??) dizziness, hair loss, headache, heartburn, hiccups, loss of appetite, nausea, tiredness, trouble sleeping, upset stomach, vomiting, and weakness.
Sooo, you mean to tell me that the medication I am taking to prevent nausea and vomiting, can not only cause nausea and vomiting, but 12 other side effects!?!? Even a third grader can do the math and figure out that it just may be worth rolling the dice and going without the medication.
Oh, and thankfully, the medication provides instructions to "check with your doctor" if any of the side effects "are bothersome." Bothersome!?!? Nope-I actually find headaches, diarrhea, constipation and heartburn quite enjoyable thank you very much!
Ahhhh....gotta love the fine print!
Tuesday, August 16, 2011
Risks vs. Rewards
Posted by Sheyanne at 9:23 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
This was funny. Glad you're keeping the humor up. ;-)
You are funny! Yes, especially if you watch some of the commercials on tv and they mention all the side effects that are possible with certain meds, it is a wonder that they can do any good. However, hopefully they are working for you! Thinking of you. :)
Hiccups, yeah.
Post a Comment