BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, November 24, 2011

"For Better or For Worse...In Sickness and In Health"

Ten simple words. A tremendous responsibility.

How easily these customary words roll off our tongues on one of the happiest days of our lives.  Sure, we'll be there to comfort our spouse after a bad day of work or after a fight with their family.  And of course we'll make them chicken noodle soup for the occasional cold and flu.  But never do we imagine that "in sickness" will mean cancer and "for worse" includes watching your spouse battle for their life.

Dan has endured a greater burden in our first two years of marriage than most people have to in their entire lifetime.  And true to his incredible character, when he said his wedding vows, he meant every word...and then some.

In the past five months he has become an expert in breast cancer, taken me to all of my doctor's appointments, sat through days and days of chemo, given me injections and medications, held my hair when I was sick, shaved my head (so he didn't have to hold my hair anymore!), cooked, cleaned, carried me when I couldn't walk, watched me cry, assured me that we will beat this, and shown me a greater, deeper love than on the day we were married.  All of this while working at all hours to continue being the exceptional attorney that he is.  Simply put, he has been my research assistant, advocate, chauffeur, nurse, best friend, barber, chef, house cleaner, legs, counselor, cheerleader and soul mate....

in two words, MY HERO!

There are very few extraordinary people in this world.  Most people are lucky just to know one.  I'm lucky enough to be married to one.  And not a day goes by where I don't stop, reflect and thank God for this incredible gift of a husband I was blessed with.

2 comments:

HeatherK said...

I hope its ok that a stranger writes a few words to you. Its so obvious just from reading your blogs that you are an incredible and inspiring woman and if you believe in prayers, you are getting boat loads of them from me. I just wanted to say that. (I am a friend/fan of Ryan's and Annette's) God bless you Sheyanne!! Sincerely, Heather Keiper

Suzy said...

Hi Shey! It's Suzy, your mom's Imperial neighbor. Just wanted to send hugs and say how awesome it is to hear about you completing "Phase 1" of your fight. This is definitely wonderful news. I also wanted to say congrats on becoming an Aunt. Your mom, the proud grandma, shared pics of Leilani with me today and she is beautiful. Lots of prayers and good wishes to you Sheyanne!
Always, Suzy