Today is National Cancer Survivors Day... an annual, worldwide Celebration of Life to show the world that life after a cancer diagnosis can be meaningful and productive.
My initial reaction? This doesn't pertain to me. I'm not a "survivor." I haven't even finished treatment yet...and I know I still have a long road ahead of me. And "productive?" No way, right? I mean, society defines "productivity" by the jobs we have and the amount of money we make...and since I physically haven't been able to work since my diagnosis, I haven't been "productive."
But then I really thought about what it means to be a survivor. To me, it means being confronted with a challenge great enough to break most, but coming out stronger in the end. Being scared to death on the inside, but showing nothing but grace on the outside. Continuing to get up each and every time you are knocked down...no matter how badly you want to give up. Remaining true to yourself and your faith, despite having every reason to question both.
So, am I a survivor?!? Abso-freaking-lutely!!
I survived the devastating diagnosis. I survived nine months of chemo. I survived failed treatments. I survived heartbreaking news. I survived three surgeries. I survived two weeks of radiation. I will survive four more weeks of radiation. And I WILL survive cancer!
I am stronger. I am a fighter. I have been true to myself. I have been true to my faith.
I am a SURVIVOR!
Sunday, June 3, 2012
Survivor??? Absolutely!!!
Posted by Sheyanne at 12:49 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
You are AMAZING! You are truly a survivor! We love you lots and are thinking about you.
Love,
Laurie and Eric
Post a Comment