BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Birthday to Remember

Birthdays are for celebrating!  Eating too much (well, that's not actually possible), indulging in forbidden food and spirits, getting pampered and surrounding yourself with family and friends.  But birthdays for me have also meant reflecting on the past year and looking forward to the next...setting goals, making plans and working towards a more purposeful life.  Which is why this birthday was one of the toughest and most special birthdays yet.

I never would have imagined in my wildest dreams that on my 32nd birthday I would have cancer.  I woke up overcome by emotion...grateful for the blessings of the past year, optimistic and hopeful about the year I will become cancer-free, and terrified that this could be my last.

I was angry...and tired.  Tired of feeling sick.  Tired of countless injections.  Tired of having a bald head.  Tired of having to stay home.  Tired of missing work.  Tired of having to be strong.  Tired of having to fight this fight.  Tired of having cancer.

But then I was reminded of the amazing gift that cancer has blessed me with...the overwhelming outpouring of love and support from family, friends and strangers.  All day I was showered with phone calls, emails, visitors, happy birthday serenades, flowers, desserts, and cards.  And as Dan and I left the house for my birthday dinner, I was surprised to see all of my friends and neighbors gathered outside my house with birthday cake, brownies, balloons, flowers, cards....and most importantly, smiles of warmth and friendship. 

Birthdays for me are no longer measured by the age I turn or what I do to celebrate on that one day of the year... rather, they will be measured by the relationships I have created and maintained, and the lives I have touched on the 364 other days of the year.  From what I experienced yesterday, I cannot help but be grateful for where I am at this exact moment in my life.  And though I wished harder for my birthday wish yesterday than I have in years past, I would not have changed a thing about my birthday this year!

3 comments:

Suzy said...

Happy Birthday Sheyanne!
From, Suzy (Your mom's Imperial neighbor)

Anonymous said...

Sheyanne,
I stumbled upon your blog and don't know you personally...but I want to let you know that you are such an inspiration to others. I am confident that you will get through this tough time in your life with many stories to share from the other side of this hurdle! May you find peace and strength each day of your fight. There are many people who are thinking of you!
Kate

Suzi said...

God Sheyanne - you are truly the most amazing person I have ever known. It was wonderful seeing you yesterday and to hear your incredible upbeat spirit as always is an inspiration for us all. If I could be like anyone, I would want to be like you. Your humor, strength, inner and outer beauty, sincere warmth and love, intelligence, energy and captivating presence are sincerely missed around here so you'd better get your a** back to work!! I will continue to pray for you and your inevitable recovery :-)

Suzi~~