BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Team Sheyanne

Determination has no boundaries.

I've always believed you can do anything you set your mind to.  Whether it's big or small.  Whether you're strong or weak.  Whether you're fearless or afraid.  As long as you are determined, nothing is out of reach.  And on Sunday I proved to myself that this is true even with cancer.   

On Sunday, less than 2 days after chemo, I woke up feeling extremely sore.  My entire body ached and I was mentally and physically exhausted...a typical reaction to the chemo.  However, this was not a typical day.  Today was the 20th annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure...5 kilometers...3.1 miles...and a ton of determination!

I was out of breath and exhausted by the time I walked from the parking lot to the start of the race.  Was I asking too much of my body?  Was it too late to graciously bow out?  I knew I had a free pass if I wanted it.  I knew everyone would understand if the girl with the bald head took a seat and watched her team cross the finish line without her.  But then that just wouldn't be me!

When I saw my team waiting for me at the top of the stairs, I was more determined than ever to participate in the race.  Over 50 of my closest friends, family and biggest supporters came out to show their support of me and a cure.  I've said it all along and I'll say it again...it is people like you who give me the strength every day to keep fighting!   


The race was a lot longer than I remember it being.  And while the temptation to take short cuts were presented to me throughout the course (especially by my mom!) I was determined to complete the entire race on my own.  No piggy backs.  No wheel chairs.  No strollers (yes, I did consider kicking some kids out of their strollers several times.)

When I crossed the finish line with my mom and Dan by my side, I felt more empowered than ever!  My determination had paid off and I proved to myself that nothing, including this horrible disease can ever get in the way of whatever I set my mind to.






And while I finished last on my team this year, next year there will be no freebies!  I'll be back to running the race and waiting on my team to cross the finish line!

4 comments:

KiKi said...

Way to go Sheyanne!!! Sending much love and support to you! KiKi

Suzy said...

You go girl!!!!!! You are amazing!

On a side note.....can I say how funny it is to hear your mom have the word "blog" in her vocabulary. All I can say is AWESOME!

Grissel Chavez said...

Congratulations on your race!!! :-) that is awesome!

Deanna Mayer Spelber said...

Good luck Shey... You look beautiful and I am glad to see you are kicking cancer's A$$!!