BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, July 4, 2011

It Takes a Village....Lucky for Me, I Live in the Best One!

Our Team T-shirt
For the past five years I have organized and rallied a team for the Susan G. Komen, Race for the Cure Event.  "The Breast Defense."  That's our team name.  "Prepare. Defend. Prevail."  That's our team's motto. 

This year is no exception. The Breast Defense is officially registered for our sixth annual participation in the Race for the Cure Event.  The only difference this year is that the fight hits a little closer to home. 

I'm not exactly sure why I chose this event in the first place.   Or why I became so passionate in the fight against breast cancer.   You can call it a coincidence.  You can call it fate.  But I'm hoping it's simply a case of paying it forward!  And, to be honest, I always secretly coveted the special pink race shirts--the ones reserved for the breast cancer survivors!  Next year, that special shirt will have my name written all over it!

Last week I bought a Susan G. Komen breast cancer flag and ceramic breast cancer ribbon and placed it in my front yard.  It was kind of my way of telling the world, "Yes, I've been struck with breast cancer, but I'm going to fight and win the battle!" 

A few days later, I came home to find that my friend across the street also had a flag in her front yard.  The following day, my friend next door had a flag in her front yard.  And then the most amazing thing happened.  I walked outside my house this week to find that every single house on my block (with the exception of 2) had a Susan G. Komen flag in their front yard!  The message it sent was deafening....it was as if I could hear each and every one of my friends say, "We support you, Sheyanne.  And we are here to support you in your fight!"   




Several of my friends' houses with Susan G. Komen Flags

They say it takes a village to raise a child.  I say, it takes a village to fight and beat cancer.  And I thank God every day for the village I am blessed to live in and the friends I am blessed to work with.  Every single day my friends deliver something special to remind me that they are fighting with me.  From the dinners, to the desserts, to the cards, pictures, books, candy, flowers and plants.  It truly is unbelievable. 

Just a few of the cards and flowers I have received!

So thank you friends for your incredible support!  You have touched my life in a way I never could have imagined.  I can't wait to celebrate after we beat this!!

Shey  


2 comments:

Grissel Chavez said...

Love your short hair! I cut mine that short a couple of months ago! :-) you look beautiful no matter what! Sorry to hear you are on a diet but soon enough you'll be able to enjoy your favorite foods once again! It's great to know that you are receiving such overwhelming support and love from all! That is a reflection of how special you are!! Sending you lOts of love and healing wishes! :-) xoxo

Bill said...

Shey! Brew and I just heard today. I'll be praying for you (Brew doesn't pray). It's great that you're blogging this. You're giving strength to others who will have to fight through this as well. And when you beat it, it will be that much more encouraging. But for now, kick cancer's ass!

Bill