Be prepared! That's what we're taught from an early age. Always be prepared. So that's what I've always done. I prepared for school. I prepared for work. I prepared for marriage. I've always been (or at least tried to be) prepared.
But nothing could have prepared me for tonight. While others were watching the All-Star game, my husband was shaving my head....shaving my head! I knew this time would come. I knew my hair would fall out. My doctors told me it would. I read it in books. I knew others who had gone through chemo had their hair fall out.
So like I've always done, I had been "preparing" for weeks. I practiced covering my head with scarves. I practiced pulling my hair back real tight. I bought a floppy hat. I bought a wig. I was absolutely prepared to lose my hair. But as it turns out, I was not prepared at all. In fact, nothing could have prepared me for tonight.
As my husband took the razor to my head, I couldn't help but cry. And when I looked into the mirror for the first time, I cried even more. For the past few weeks, my cancer was a secret to the outside world. When I went to the store or the bank or the mall, nobody knew I had cancer. But now, as a woman with a bald head, I know I cannot keep the secret any longer. To me, and the rest of the world, a bald head is the universal sign of cancer. I know now that anywhere I go, people will look at me and know I have cancer.
And then my husband looked at me with a straight face and said, "I'm not going to lie baby, you look pretty bad a$$." Followed by, "Seriously, you've got the Sinead O'Connor thing going on. And I used to have a crush on her when I was growing up." I couldn't help but bust up laughing. And the laughing hasn't stopped since. That was exactly what I needed.
So friends, here I am. No make-up. No hair. And soon to be no cancer. And most importantly, I still have a smile on my face. And that smile will remain there throughout the rest of my journey.
A friend recently told me that since the beginning of time, men have been encouraged to get and look fierce when they go to war. They shave their heads. They paint their faces. My war is no different. That's why starting today and from this point forward, I have my game face on. I am fierce and ready to battle. I WILL win this war!
Shey
18 comments:
Sheyanne,
Although we all know how beautiful you are, inside and out, I can't help but admit that the second I saw the first picture in this post, I shouted out (to Kathy across the office), "Wow, she looks gorgeous!" You are beaming with pride, strength and courage. We love you and your beauty and support you 100%!! xoxo
jemma
I agree with Jemma! You look beautiful!! And you know what, you do have the Sinead thing going on! We love you Shey!
You, my friend, look fierce and gorgeous! Love you. V.
G.I. Jane comes to mind!!!!
You look fabulous,fierce and gorgeous!!! And the scarf...awesome!!! J. Lo has nothing on you! :) Much love to you!
Chae
Shey--You look beautiful as ever...We are so proud of you and here to battle with you!! Love, E xoxo
Sheyanne,
I certainly can't say it any better than anyone else; you DO look beautiful and you DO have the Sinead O'Connor thing goin'!!
You sure are missed around here!!
Love you :)
Sheyanne, you look ahhhhmazing. And very bad a$$. Thinking of you every day! xo lorraine
Dammit Girl! I knew you would look good but WOW! You put my little bawldy head to shame. The scarf is awesome and it should feel pretty good during the summer months. (Wigs are so hot and ichy.) Keep cool my brave one. Love, Aunt BJ
We are so proud of you and your commitment to fight this. I told grandma that you look so feminine and then I read that you didn't even have makeup on. Love the scarf. You'll need them in lots of different colors for this summer. Tomorrow is another big day and we will be praying that the new meds do wonders for you. Keep smiling:D
Love, Uncle Mike and Aunt Suzanne
P.S. Uncle Mike says you have a great round head.
I have a lot of hair and I still don't look nearly half as radiantly beautiful as you do!! :-) So happy to hear you are keeping in great spirits and strength. It's what will help beat this, and you will! Your mom mentioned your next session is tomorrow, so I'll be thinking of you, praying it goes well and you feel okay and keep getting better! Xoxo
Sheyanne,
I certainly can't say it any better than anyone else; you DO look beautiful Absolutely gorgeous, beautiful, spectacular, I could go on… and you DO have the Demi More thing goin'!! Love the scarf, all you need is the earings to go with!
You sure are missed around here more than you could ever know!!
Hugs!!
Love you :)
-Dee Dee
Shey,
You are such a warrior! So proud to see you fight so hard! Love you and praying for you always. Lori, Bob and girls
You are amazing! No surprise how beautiful you look with or without hair! Keep up the fight. You will beat this. Much love, Laurie
Sheyanne,
You're beautiful! I love your strength and spirit. We're all praying for you. Thanks for writing this blog.
Sheyanne,
Yowza! You look fantastic! Seriously, bald is so in and you rock the look! You are an amazing, beautiful woman always inspiring and helping others. Now you continue to do so on a higher level. We love you and look forward to having you back with us soon!
<3 Ann
Shey,
No one, including me, is surprised at how beautiful you continue to be each day. Your beauty radiates from your amazing heart onto the face of an angel.
You are so incredibly loved.
XXXOOO
Vicky
Sheyanne,
you are the most strongest person i know. i had always looked up to you in every way, by your personality, career, and your beauty. i know that you can get through this! God is looking over you right this moment as he knows that everything will be ok. i love you so much and i will be praying for you everyday!!! tomorrow keep strong! go in with your positive attitude! and and kick it's butt! remember you have a big family that loves you so much and we will all be standing aside you throughout your whole journey.
love, hannah crouch<3
You're beautiful and such an inspiration!
Post a Comment